Connect

Post by: Rebekah Bunch

con·nec·tion

/kəˈnekSH(ə)n/

1. a relationship in which a person, thing, or idea is linked or associated with something else.
  2. the most valuable thing you can receive from your summer internship.

This summer, I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to intern with the Rule of Law Institute in Sofia, Bulgaria. Through this experience, I was able to connect with attorneys and professionals from my own generation and those that came before me.

Connect

How did I make so many connections? For one, I was working for an amazing attorney who wants to see our generation succeed and bring a new perspective to the law. Second, I did not wait for the opportunity to present itself – I made the opportunity. To make connections, you must put yourself in the line of fire. Ask for introductions. Ask questions. Speak about your passions and hopes for your future. When you do so, the door will open itself. When you do so, the attorneys and professionals who know you will want to introduce you to their colleagues. When you do so, you inadvertently show how much of an asset you are.

I had the wonderful opportunity to discuss my passion for women’s rights during my time in Bulgaria. After the conversation, an attorney I know wanted to introduce me to the restore manager of A21, an international trafficking organization. I was able to learn more about trafficking in Bulgaria and discuss having A21 team members join the conversation for the Journal of Global Justice & Public Policy’s trafficking focused symposium in the Spring of 2022.

I am grateful for the boundless opportunities I received this summer to connect with those who share my passions and to learn more from those who do not.

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Intern. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.