Post by: Nathanial Fosnough

Nathanial Fosnough

Hello, my name is Nathan Fosnough and I have had the incredible opportunity through the Center for Global Justice to have my summer legal internship with Las Americas Immigrant Advocacy Center in El Paso. I work within the detained defense team. Our job is to represent and help refugees and asylees who are detained at the border and are in removal proceedings. This includes victims of human trafficking, victims of abuse, refugees looking for a better life, and even asylees leaving their oppressed lives. I have had the privilege and opportunity to serve refugees and asylum seekers at the Mexico-U.S. border, leading some of them to experience more freedoms and privileges than they have experienced before.

Although I am working remotely, I still have the opportunity to help with important work for Las Americas. Whether through writing bond motions, advocating for conditional parole, communicating with clients in Spanish, or trying to work with Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, or Customs and Boarder Protection, I have learned a lot about the intricacies and overwhelming complexities of immigration law. I am nowhere near full competency and complete understanding, but I am enjoying the process of learning. I am gaining valuable experience in the realm of immigration policy and human rights advocacy. Each day keeps me on my toes and I never know what situation will be thrown at me next.

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Intern. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.