Post by: Rebecca Emmanuel

Rebecca Emmanuel

Greetings! My name is Becky Emmanuel, and I am a rising third-year law student at Regent University School of Law. This summer, I have the opportunity of working with Jubilee Campaign USA in Washington, D.C., on human rights violations like religious persecution, women, and children’s rights. I have always known that I wanted to go to Law school to be able to fight against human rights violations in governmental systems using the law. The work I do with Jubilee Campaign is giving me insight into the role non-profit organizations play in securing the rights of the oppressed in various countries.

For the past month, I have been learning about the various United Nations (U.N.) mechanisms that are in place to fight different forms of human rights violations. It has been an overwhelming month as well because of the flood of emails and the meetings I have attended that point out the reality of religious minorities, women, and children around the world. At first, I felt defeated by the immense numbers of human rights violations and the proximity of these violations. Still, I was also encouraged by the individuals and organizations I met at roundtable meetings who faithfully raise awareness about the oppressed.

At Jubilee Campaign, I have been able to attend ten round table zoom meetings about human rights violations in various countries. A country’s representative gives reports about a situation, like the religious persecution of the Hmong and Montagnard’s of Vietnam, as well as updates about actions taken to bring a stop to the abuse. It has been amazing to be in FORB (Freedom of Religious Beliefs) round tables with USCIRF (United States Commission on International Religious Freedom) officials and representatives and to be part of a network of freedom fights. I am beyond excited to have physical meetings in the future with these organizations when the pandemic (COVID-19) is over.

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Intern. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.