Post by: Alexandria Overcash
This summer I am interning with Alliance Defending Freedom International in New Delhi, India. ADF International protects fundamental freedoms and promotes the inherent dignity of all people by defending religious freedom, the sanctity of life, and marriage and family around the world.
Throughout my internship, I am working with the litigation department in the India office on a few upcoming cases in the Delhi High Court and the India Supreme Court. I am primarily responsible for researching domestic case law and the international perspective on the issues. Though challenging at times, it has been an extremely good experience becoming familiar with how the Indian judicial system works and the intricacies of their constitution. It has also been extremely interesting to see how much influence the international perspective from the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia have on the judicial decisions in the India Supreme Court!
The work I have completed so far has been eye opening to what issues other countries face within their legal systems and communities. In just a couple weeks, the work I have completed and the stories that locals have shared with me have deepened my love and desire for international justice! I can’t wait to share in more detail in my next blog post about all that I have learned from this internship and my time in India! This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Intern. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.