Post by: Rebecca Emmanuel
Legal Aid of Western Michigan (LAWM) is a nonprofit law firm that provides free legal advice and representation to low-income individuals in a broad range of areas. LAWM provides services in consumer cases, family law, housing problems, public benefits, tax, education, and Individual rights. LAWM is funded by federal, state and local government sources, foundations as well as private donations from lawyers and individuals. There is an eligibility criterion that clients have to meet before they can be represented or receive legal advice. Legal Aid of Western Michigan participates in the Access to Justice Campaign to increase resources for civil legal aid for low-income households in Michigan. Additionally, LAWM has a pro bono program and local attorneys in the area are encouraged to participate by providing free legal representation and counsel for clients who qualify. LAWM’s mission is to secure justice for low-income families in the community and it is easy to see how passionate the attorneys are about the work they do for the clients.
This past week I attended LAWM’s annual Fundraiser luncheon where there were client speakers that testified to the amazing representation they received from staff attorneys at LAWM and local attorneys. It has been one week, approximately four days since I have been interning for Legal Aid of Western Michigan (LAWM) and for some reason, it feels like I’ve been working for 2 weeks or more. Because the fellow intern I work with, as well as the employees at LAWM, have been so welcoming and friendly, I feel at home in LAWM. LAWM is also located in downtown Grand Rapids, so the courthouse is only a ten-minute walk from the office. It’s been interesting to walk with supervising attorneys to the courthouse while discussing cases and the outcomes of hearings are so on. One of the best parts about this internship for me so far has been going to the courthouse with my supervising attorney and discussing the complicated aspects of the law that has not yet been decided by the Supreme Court in Michigan. I can sense so far that interning at LAWM is going to be a dynamic experience and I am looking forward to the rest of my time here.
This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Intern. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.