Post by: Lauren Moustakas 
This summer I am humbled to have the opportunity to intern with the National Center’s on Sexual Exploitation’s Law Center in Washington, D.C. The National Center on Sexual Exploitation is dedicated to exposing the links between human trafficking, pornography, and prostitution; addressing all forms of sexual exploitation; and upholding human dignity and the right be free from such exploitation. I was drawn to NCOSE’s work and mission as my decision to attend law school was based on my desire to be equipped to be a human rights advocate in order to effectively protect and defend human dignity. Human trafficking specifically is a justice concern that I seek to address and the National Center on Sexual Exploitation’s work and resources has made an impact on my understanding of how other forms of exploitation such as prostitution and pornography add fuel to the fire of demand.
While I am only in the second week of my internship, I have been able to contribute to work that will help address the sexual assault and harassment that occurs on public transportation such as railways and airplanes. Before working on this project, I was unaware of just how prevalent sexual assault and harassment is to both passengers and staff members on public transportation. I am grateful for the opportunity to educate myself and others while assisting NCOSE’s work to address these occurrences of exploitation.
Additionally, I have been researching state and federal efforts to protect children from obscenity and online pornography exposure abuse. Child exposure to obscenity and pornography has become increasingly prevalent and impacts the child’s life after the abuse and exposure occurs. It has been eye-opening to research this area of the law and I am thankful to contribute to NCOSE’s work protecting children from exploitation.
Interning with NCOSE has reaffirmed my desire to work to uphold human dignity, particularly human dignity in connection with sexual exploitation. I am especially grateful for the opportunity to learn from an organization that has worked tirelessly to end sexual exploitation of all people and from leaders who are passionate abolitionists and advocates for human dignity.
This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Intern. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.

One Comment