Student Staff Update from Aja Mallory

By September 22, 2017December 16th, 2019Uncategorized

Student Staff Member Aja Mallory

This semester I have the privilege of researching statutes and case law for one of our partner organizations. Due to confidentiality, I cannot share the name of the organization or the place they are working. However, I am really excited to be a part of this project. The thought of people not having access to justice because of their socio-economic status is frustrating, but I am thankful that I get to be a part of the solution.

Specifically, I am researching the requirements for bringing class action lawsuits in a certain country. The question is whether the individuals who have lost relatives to police shootings that have never been investigated can sue as a group. In this nation, police officers often act with impunity and are not held accountable for injuring or killing the poor.

So far, I have found the relevant civil procedure statute that communicates the necessary rules to bring a class action lawsuit and who is eligible to be a part of those suits. Importantly, I noticed that the requirements for suing the government are governed by a different statute, so that will need further research. Lord willing, we will determine that a class action lawsuit can be brought so the government can be held accountable for taking advantage of the poor.

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice student staff member.  The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.