I have had the opportunity to volunteer with the Center for Global Justice now for almost a year. This work led me to an awesome summer internship working in Uganda and gives me a chance to “Change the World” as Regent states it goal to be. But what are we changing the world to be? One filled with peace. The purpose of the law is to bring justice, the purpose of Regent Law grads is to bring the Lord’s Justice. “The Lord’s justice will dwell in the desert, his righteousness live in the fertile field. The fruit of that righteousness will be peace; its effect will be quietness and confidence forever.” (Isaiah 32 NIV). The Lord’s justice will bring peace. We further see this in the words of Isaiah in one of the most classic verses, “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” (Isaiah 9 NIV). 

The work that I have been able to participate in through the Center is one that leads to peace. Global Justice will bring Global Peace. That is what we seek, that is what we try to sow. And it is that peace that I have felt as I have worked here. Ever since I began to attend Regent Law I have felt the love of those around me, they have welcomed me with open arms, helped me through my struggles, and encouraged me in my darkest times. The growth they have allowed me to experience has brought strength to my family and peace to my home. My wife is stronger, my children kinder, and me, well, I’m at least a little bit better. 

The Center for Global Justice has been a rock for me at Regent Law; the regular events, the strong fellowship have been instrumental in allowing me to feel included in a place where I worried that I would not quite fit in. The leadership of the Center has been encouraging, and I have found mentors here that I hope will continue in friendship throughout my entire life. Overall I would like to thank the Center for being such a beacon in the darkness to me, a light upon the hill, a lighthouse in the stormy night. As I continue to work at the Center I hope that my lowly light can in turn bring peace to another who seeks it. Let us go forth and “Change the World.” 

Written by Charles Horikami

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Student Staff member. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.