The Path to Ending Gender Based Violence

By December 13, 2021IJM, Uganda

” The project which I am working on this semester is focused on gender based violence in Uganda.”

Post by Rebekah Bunch

– – –

Author, Ending Gender Based Violence

This semester, I have the opportunity to work on a project for International Justice Mission (IJM) Uganda.

IJM is a global organization that protection people in poverty from violence by rescuing victims. Bringing criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength. As well as by helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.

IJM words to combat trafficking and slavery, violence against women and children, and police abuse of power.

– – –

We strengthen justice systems by working with police, courts, land authorities and other local leaders to dramatically improve the justice system response to land theft, domestic violence and sexual violence against children so women and children are safe.”

IJM Uganda

The Database

The project which I am working on this semester is focused on gender-based violence in Uganda. Another staff member and I are creating a case law database. This will focus on Uganda, Kenya, and the United Kingdom cases. Specifically relating to defilement, aggravated defilement, attempted defilement, rape, attempted rape, child to child sex, abduction, trafficking in persons, and domestic violence.

We rescue women and children from violence and help Local Council leaders (the community-level representatives of the justice system), police and courts to provide support, investigate crimes, and handle cases appropriately. This can mean moving women and children into safe houses while we work to stop the threats.

IJM Uganda

– – –

This database will hopefully serve as a bank of cases that will be useful for IJM Uganda when dealing with cases regarding these topics.

Through this project, I have learned so much about gender-based violence through this project.

Lastly, I am thankful for this opportunity to help IJM Uganda in their fight to end gender-based violence.

– – –

I hope to continue work of this nature throughout my legal career because it is truly a passion of mine.

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Student Staff member. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.