Post by Damie Omole

In the same way, let your light shine before others so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 5:16 ESV

– – –

Intern working of Gender Equality

This semester, I have the great opportunity to work on a project for International Justice Mission (IJM) Uganda. IJM Uganda works actively to defend and protect women and children affected by violence in Uganda. 

IJM Uganda focuses on working with community representatives of justice, police, and courts to provide support, investigate crimes, and handle cases dealing with rescuing women and children from violence.

This project has been one of the most challenging projects I have worked on. I remember reading the first case on defilement and thinking to myself; this cannot be possible.

Reading and reviewing cases on defilement and rape was very difficult. Cases dealing with very young children were especially very difficult to read through.

– – –

It is frightening to see how dark the world can be. It is scary to read about how people engage in activities that bring hurt and pain to mothers, fathers, and children. However, in the midst of these dark cases, I recognized the importance and great need to be the light. Many of the survivors of rape and defilement were able to seek justice because of brave attorneys who advocated for them.

– – –

As aspiring attorneys, we have been placed in the unique position to attack this darkness head-on. We are being equipped by our professors and experiences as students, staff, and interns at the Center for Global Justice.

As we become advocates for survivors of human rights violations, we should remember to let our light shine before others so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Despite the heartbreaking cases I have read, I am encouraged by the work of courageous attorneys and organizations like the International Justice Mission and reminded to let my light shine.

– – –

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Intern. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.