Post by: Jillian Schinzing

Learning to Abide

My name is Jillian Schinzing and I am a 3L at Regent University school of Law. I have been fortunate enough to be a student staff member for the center for over a year now.

Over the course of my research for the Center, I’ve been reminded of the importance of abiding in Christ in all we do. My projects for the Center have ranged from working with Christian Legal Fellowship promoting religious liberty to working with International Justice Mission (IJM) on projects for Africa relating to ending sexual violence against children, and IJM Eastern Europe helping prosecute human traffickers.

I was also fortunate enough after my 1L year to intern with the center in Uganda for the Director of Public Prosecutions. During my summer in Uganda, I got to work on cases that related to land disputes, forgery, corruption, and human trafficking.

The work we are able to partner with these organizations on is so important, but the work is also hard. Fighting for justice in a fallen world can be difficult, just hearing about all the prejudice in the world can be draining. Sometimes it’s hard to see the progress or impact that were making. But the Lord never told us it would be easy. He still commands us to care for the orphans and the widows, to seek justice, to move mercy, and walk humbly.

As a 3L I’ve been reflecting on my law school experience and praying about the future. I hope to have a career dedicating to helping the less fortunate, a life that’s dedicated to pursuing justice. But, more than anything, the Lord’s been reminding me that he calls us to abide in him. When we feel the weight of the world on us, his yoke is easy, and burden is light.

The world is filled with injustice, but one day the great judge will reconcile all to him. Psalm 27 has been my anthem this year. Verse 13 and 14 say, “I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” Abiding in him brings peace, comfort, and direction. It provides confidence and encouragement to seek justice because we will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. So I pray that as we abide in him and seek justice he will encourage us all to keep fighting for those who can’t fight for themselves.

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Student Staff member. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.