Post by; Francesca McManus

Victim Compensation Schemes for Survivors

My name is Francesca McManus and I am a second-year law student at Regent University School of Law. I have been a student staff member for the Center for Global Justice since my second semester of my first year. This semester I am working with Justice Ventures International (JVI). JVI is a Christian faith-based organization that works to protect human rights and promote justice alongside NGOs in India. Specifically, I am working on a project researching victim compensation schemes for bonded labor and sex trafficking victims that exist in the states of Delhi, Bihar, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, and West Bengal. This semester I will be researching the states of Bihar and West Bengal.

Victim compensation schemes provide much needed monetary support for trafficking survivors and work towards repairing the harm done to the survivor by the offender. In India, victim compensation schemes are mandated by government statutes, however, in practice it has been difficult for survivors to acquire compensation due to extensive red tape and unclear requirements for imbursement.  JVI, with help from the Center for Global Justice, is working towards understanding the complexities of victim compensation schemes in each state in order to increase effectiveness, and ensure that survivors receive the compensation that they deserve.  

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Student Staff member. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.