Post by: Damie Omole

Hope in the Midst of a Pandemic

This summer, I had the opportunity to intern with the general counsel of Cru. Cru is a community of believers dedicated to advancing the mission of Jesus by providing resources for students, equipping families, relieving suffering, restoring dignity, and revealing hope to people living in the toughest places on earth.

The pandemic has been challenging to navigate. It has led to the loss of life, closing of schools, and businesses. We had to be creative and redefine some of the daily activities we once took for granted. The global health crisis has made it extremely difficult for people living in the toughest places on earth. Many who live on daily wages no longer have a reliable source of income. Many in these areas still deal with the issues of lack of food, water, and shelter.

I was privileged to work with the global team on a project providing COVID-19 relief to people who live in the toughest areas of the world. We worked with local leaders to find out the immediate needs of the people. It was an honor to work on a project that would impact the lives of many. This project was very special because it reminded me of the need for hope in difficult times. While working on the project, I was able to focus on being the hands and feet of Jesus amid the global health crisis. For some hours, I was able to focus on sharing hope by helping those in need in our society. 

While I am sure that the efforts of Cru brought hope to the people, it also gave me hope. Those couple of hours I focused on helping others reminded me of how my small contributions to society can bring hope to many.

This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Intern. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.