Post by: Sarah Stefaniak
My name is Sarah Stefaniak and I am 2L at Regent University School of Law. As a law clerk for the Center for Global Justice, I have been humbled by the work I have been asked to do and continually feel God call me to one day use my degree to benefit those who cannot help themselves.
This semester I am working on a project for the Director of Public Prosecutions in Uganda. I have been tasked with researching cases on violent crimes to help formulate sentencing guidelines that will provide more uniformity and stability in Ugandan criminal courts.
I was surprised to find a wide variety of sentences in the cases that I researched; some appellants received only a few years for the same factors of a crime that another appellant may have received a lifetime sentence for. I firmly believe that those who have committed violent crimes are still human beings deserving of dignity and thus find it fulfilling that I am able to provide insight into more uniform sentencing guidelines so those convicted of similar offenses are given similar sentences, as justice requires.
I am honored to participate in the process of creating more uniformity in sentencing structure for those convicted of violent crimes in Uganda. I will continue to find fulfillment in this work that God has called me to and I am grateful to understand the fruits that this research will create for Uganda.
This post was written by a Center for Global Justice student staff member.  The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.

One Comment