Post by: Lauren Moustakas
Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii. My name is Lauren Moustakas and I am a rising 2L at Regent Law School. I have had the opportunity to spend the second half of the Summer interning with the University of the Nation’s General Counsels Office in Kona. The General Counsels Office provides legal advice to the University of the Nations Kona whose mission is to fulfill the Great Commission by equipping men and women with spiritual and professional training and inspiring them to grow in their relationship with God while making Him known in all the nations.
I decided to pursue my law degree because I felt called to be equipped to address injustice and serve through the law. While searching for Summer internship opportunities I was drawn to this internship opportunity with the General Counsels Office because of their mission to go into all the world with law and justice for the least of these. Further, I was impacted by learning of the Office’s dedication to hearing and obeying God’s voice to serve in this capacity and use the training and giftings they have been given to impact missions and injustice through the law. While the General Counsels Office provides legal advice to the University on a range of legal issues, their work centers around this mission of service through the law and equipping the University to help students learn to know God and make him known in all the nations.
During my time interning in the office, I have witnessed how property law, contract law, and other first year law course subjects can be used to enable others to serve the nations. As someone who has just finished their first year of law school it has been impactful to witness how the training I received in my standard first year courses can be used to make a difference for justice and to serve others.
In the course of this internship I have been exposed to non-profit law, visa and immigration issues, land use, policy development, and many other legal issues. The office addresses a broad range of legal questions while also keeping consistent with the culture and mission of the University in all that they do. Interning with the General Counsels Office has been a wonderful opportunity to learn the range of legal work that comes with non-profit work as well as how to serve through the law in a way that upholds and respects the culture of those you are serving. I am incredibly grateful to have the opportunity to learn from an office and lawyers who are faithfully dedicated to pursuing justice and serving through the law.
This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Intern. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.