Post by: Jillian Schinzing
I just wrapped up the last week of my internship in Uganda and it’s crazy to think how fast these 8 weeks have flown by. This summer working with the directorate of public prosecutions allowed me to gain a broader knowledge of Ugandan criminal law. I was able to read case files on embezzlement, fraud, forgery, trespass, defilement, and human trafficking. As an intern I would read all the case documents, write legal opinions, and then report to the directorate of public prosecutions, Justice Mike Chibita. My opinions would include brief facts of the case, applicable law, and then charge recommendations. From there, the prosecutors would either move forward with the case or do more investigations based upon our recommendations. The most heartbreaking yet, fulfilling case I worked on was one that involved human trafficking. There were 9 open files against an individual with many reports of trafficking in persons. Although it was heartbreaking to read through the cases it was rewarding to know that I had a very small role in evaluating the case and recommending charges. 
During my time in Uganda I worked with three other interns from Pepperdine Law and we we’re able to sit in on court cases in the high court, the court of appeals, and the Ugandan anti-corruption court.  The other students, including a few Ugandan interns and prosecutors are in the picture above! As the only student from Regent, I was thankful to have other interns to learn from, learn with, and explore. We explored Kampala and really gained a deeper understanding of Ugandan history and culture. I’m so thankful to have had a chance to learn more about international law and experience life in Uganda for the past 8 weeks! 
This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Intern. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent University Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.