Post by: Jillian Schinzing 
This summer I am excited to have the opportunity to intern in Kampala, Uganda, working with the Department of Public Prosecutions (DPP) in their anti-human trafficking division. I am passionate about justice and this internship is giving me a chance to see what international law and human rights work looks like. The Department of Public Prosecutions office works on directing and guiding criminal investigations, and the prosecution of criminal cases in a just, effective, and efficient manner.
I started working at the DPP just a few days ago. My first day involved reading two cases on what is known in Uganda as ‘common intention.’ This refers to the common intent of parties to work together for the same illegal purposes. I also was given a copy of the Ugandan Penal Code that lists the elements of the charges that can be brought against a perpetrator.  So far, my work has involved reading cases and then giving recommendations for charges. I read case notes, reports, witness statements, and then determine what charges can be brought based upon the facts of the case. The file I most recently finished reading was about a land dispute between two individuals. This dispute had been going on for over 30 years and involved many incidents and claims. My job was to determine if either could be charged with trespass, or if any defenses could be used against the claims brought. Although maybe not the most exciting case, it has been fun to learn about Ugandan law and use some of my legal knowledge!
I’m excited to continue working with the DPP, getting more work from their anti-human trafficking division, and fighting for the oppressed around the world!
This post was written by a Center for Global Justice Intern. The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect those of Regent University, Regent Law School, or the Center for Global Justice.